Sports news. The world has witnessed some great battles between Indian great Sachin Tendulkar and Australian wizard Shane Warne on the cricket field. But after hanging up their boots, it’s time to work together for them. According to some reports in the media the cricket greats are planning to start a new Twenty20 competition for former international players.
It was reported that Warne and Tendulkar have offered 28 big-name ex-players of international repute contracts worth $US25,000 a match, with 15 Twenty20 games planned for the Cricket All Stars League over a 42-month period.
Players believed to have been contacted by the All Stars include Australian greats Brett Lee, Ricky Ponting, Adam Gilchrist and Glenn McGrath, former England captains Michael Vaughan and Andrew Flintoff, South African all-rounder Jacques Kallis. West Indian great Brian Lara and Sri Lankan Mahela Jayawardne.
The Australian newspaper said none of the players they have contacted wanted to go on record about the proposal but there was concern about the push to sign a one-page contract that includes business class travel and a $US10,000 sign-on fee with the promise of more details to follow.
“Warne is in Britain but has been actively spruiking (promoting) the idea. He hinted this year that he and Tendulkar had formed a business that would be launching during the year,” the report said. Neither Warne or Tendulkar has made a comment. But in January Warne, rather suggestively, tweeted: “Sachin and I have an exciting announcement soon.”
Under the reported proposal, a series of matches will be held around the world over a three-and-a-half-year period, with the US to host the first series in September. New York, Los Angeles and Chicago were cited as the leading contenders to host the matches in the US.
The newspaper said if the Cricket All Stars League proceeds it could affect some domestic Twenty20 competitions such as Australia’s Big Bash League and the Indian Premier League, which often include former international cricketers.
The organisers have reportedly informed the Board of Control of Cricket in India (BCCI), Cricket Australia and the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) of their plans. The organisers are expected to make a formal announcement soon.
Cricket Australia had no comment when approached by the media, but has said previously that anything that promotes and grows the game in new and emerging markets is good for cricket, as long as it doesn’t use current contracted players.
However, Lee’s manager Neil Maxwell confirmed his client had received an offer to play in the Cricket All Stars League and would be seeking permission from CA first to play. “I can’t see anything wrong with it, it’s a group of retired blokes playing a game of cricket,” Maxwell told Fox Sports on Friday.
The International Cricket Council (ICC), however, has said they have not received any information regarding anything about the tournament. “There is a process in place with regard to activities such as this and the ICC will deal with it once it is approached,” an ICC spokesman said.
However, the proposed league comes on top of plans by the Indian-based Essel Group to start a rival body to the International Cricket Council (ICC), which has reportedly discussed plans to pay current players Michael Clarke and David Warner $US50 million over 10 years.