Castries, January 22, 2021; With reference to the recent address by the Honourable Prime Minister – January 20th , 2021, in which new measures were announced in an effort to curtail the rapid increase in COVID-19 infections in Saint Lucia, the Ministry of Commerce, International Trade, Investment, Enterprise Development and Consumer Affairs wishes to advise of the following implications with respect to commercial activity on island.
Commercial activity will be scaled-down over a ten day period, from Friday January 22nd 2021 at 6:00PM until Monday February 1st , 2021.
During this period the Services which can be rendered or businesses which are allowed to remain open and engage in activity include the following:
1. Supermarkets, Mini-marts, Small Shops, Bakeries
2. Doctor’s offices, Diagnostic & lab services, Pharmacies and other related health support services
3. Farming/fishing and other Agricultural activities
4. Food supply and preparation services – eg Restaurants (take out services only)
5. Approved Covid-19 Hotels
7. Gas Stations/Petroleum services
8. Financial/Banking services
9. Law offices 10.Accounting firms
11. Sanitation/Solid Waste Management Services
12. Standalone hardware retail
13. Call centers
14. Broadcasting and Media services
15. Manufacturing and export related services
16. Customs brokerage, Courier services
18. Public transportation
20. Critical public sector projects and other ongoing private sector construction projects
A more comprehensive Listing of Services Allowed will be available on the website:
• Please be reminded that the services and businesses listed are to operate under established protocols and are further urged to adopt a blended approach (i.e. a combined physical and virtual component) where practicable so as to limit person to person contact. This suggests that where possible, staff are allowed to work from home while meetings and other conferences are to be held virtually.
• Any sector or business not listed should remain closed for the ten day period. For businesses seeking additional clarification on these matters, kindly contact your commercial membership organizations or the Ministry of Commerce at email: firstname.lastname@example.org or contact number (758) 468-4218.
You are further reminded that Business Operations and Commercial Activities must cease no later than 9:00 PM.
The Government of Saint Lucia fully appreciates the adverse impact that these measures may have on commercial activity on island and on the livelihoods of our citizenry. We do not take this decision lightly but rather we move forward in the best interest of the health and safety of all our citizens. The objective of these new measures is to limit the movement of people in order to prevent further transmission of Covid-19. We thank you for your continued patience and support as we work collaboratively towards a more prosperous Saint Lucia.