THE 2007-2008 Runner-up to the National Carnival Queen and the Federation’s representative at the 2010 Miss World Pageant, Fatisha Imo, was charged with larceny of a BlackBerry phone.

According to the Head of the Criminal Investigations Department, Inspector Charles Smithen, at about 6:00 p.m. on Thursday (Dec. 22), Imo was officially arrested and charged with larceny of a BlackBerry phone.

“She is currently on bail and is required to appear in court on Thursday, January 5, 2012 to answer to the larceny charge which allegedly occurred on Sunday, July 15, 2011,” Smithen said.

Also charged along with the Midwestern State University undergraduate are Wayne Ible and Cleo Henry.

Ible, whose address was given as Baker’s Corner, Basseterre, was arrested on the same day with Imo and was charged with receiving.

He too is in on bail and has to answer to the charge at the Basseterre Magistrate’s Court on Monday, January 9, 2012.

Henry was arrested on Saturday (Dec. 17) and charged with receiving. She too is on bail and would have to be in court on the same day with Ible.

It is alleged that Imo had stolen the BlackBerry phone from Cerene Weekes of Pond’s Extension, Newtown while at the South East Peninsula Cove on Sunday, July 17, 2011.

According to Weekes, she had suspected that her child’s father was having an intimate relationship with Imo, and on the day in question she received a text message which stated that the two of them were seen together at the Peninsula Cove.

“I had no physical evidence to confirm my suspicion. However, it finally came on Sunday, July 17 when I received a text message which said that my boyfriend and Fatisha were seen at the Peninsula Cove. I immediately contacted a female friend and together we left for the Cove.

“When we got there, I saw my boyfriend and Fatisha were inside her car. I confronted him and told him how I knew they were there. I also showed him the text message on my phone. He then led me away from the car in which I had placed my phone on the driver’s seat.

“After some minutes of him trying to convince me that nothing serious was going on between the two of them, I went to the car to get my phone and found that it was not there. So, I asked my friend if she had it and she replied in the negative. I then told her to dial the number but there was no response because it was turned off.

“There was only one other person who could have been responsible for its removal; so I asked Fatisha if she took my phone and she said, ‘What am I going to do with your phone, I have my own BB.’ Her response caused me to suspect that she was the one who removed it, because how did she know it was a BB.”

Weekes explained that she conducted a search of the immediate area and, on looking below the cliff that faced the Caribbean Sea, she saw the pink case within which the phone was placed, but the phone was missing.

“I then approached Fatisha and told her if she was the one who threw the case over the cliff and was in possession of my phone, I need to have it now because I did not come here to interfere with you…I came here to speak to my child’s father.

“She angrily replied, ‘I don’t have your BB.’ I told her that I was going to make a report at the police station that she stole my phone, and she said, ‘When you go to the station who will they believe…me or you?’”

The Newtown resident further explained that on several occasions she had dialed the number from which she received the text message but got no response. However, she was successful on her last call and was told by the person who responded that, on the day in question, Fatisha had borrowed their phone to make a call “but they did not know it would have been one bent on mischief”.

Weekes indicated that prior to the calls, she had visited LIME on the following day of the incident at the Peninsula Cove to reported the loss.

“They gave me details of the SIM card and sent information to Barbados to track my BB. And on Friday, August 19, one of LIME’s managers called and told me that she has positive information and that the BB was in use.

“I left my home and went to see the manager. She gave me a printout of two numbers that were being used on the BB and I gave it to the police officer to whom I had earlier reported the theft,” Weekes added.

Weekes said that on Thursday, November 24, a police officer called and informed her that they had someone in custody and “he had two BBs and I should go to the Basseterre Police Station to see if one of them belongs to me”.

“I went to the station and identified one of the phones as mine. I knew it was mine because of the pin number,” she added.

Weekes also explained that two days after the incident at the Peninsula Cove, Imo had reported to the police that she had damaged her vehicle, and she was subsequently charged “for an act that I knew nothing about”.

Weekes was charged for causing damage to the vehicle and had appeared at the Basseterre Magistrate’s Court on Thursday (Dec. 15) to answer to the alleged offence.

However, according to Weekes, the sitting magistrate adjourned the case because another related matter was under investigation.

She added that on leaving the Sir Lee Llewellyn Moore Judicial and Legal Services Complex, the police apprehended Imo and took her to the Basseterre Police Station.